18th June 1952. Interior view of the Joppa Tannery, located at number 87 Kirkstall Road. This is the lime yard with a series of lime pits. The tannery was built by Richard Nickols in 1828 when he expanded his business from the small tannery he had established in Bramley in 1823. The Joppa Tannery employed between 300 and 400 people in its heyday and in 1888 was manufacturing 'upper leather' from hides and skins. It had a brief period of closure but was reopened in 1900 by the son of Richard Nickols, Harold, and became known as Harold Nickols Ltd. From 1928 until closure in 1955 it retained the name but was run by the third generation of the family, Richard Nickols III.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.