View of the east side of Temple Newsam House, taken on 24th November 1922. The first person to build the new house on this site was Thomas Lord Darcy in c.1500. This was a four sided courtyard house of which only the west wing survives as the central block of the building seen today. In 1537 Darcy was beheaded for his part in the revolt known as the Pilgrimage of Grace and his properties forfeited. Temple Newsam became the property of the Countess Lennox and her sons Henry Lord Darnley and Lord Charles Stuart were born here. The house became the property of the crown again after Darnley's marriage to Mary Queen of Scots and subsequent murder.
Temple Newsam House. Guide Book. Published by Leeds City Council