View looking across gardens on to the South wing, on 28th October 1922. The property was bought by Sir Arthur Ingram in 1622 and extensively remodelled. By pulling down the east wing and rebuilding the side wings he created the house we see today. The inscription above the central bay reads as follows. 'This South Wing intirely rebuilt by Frances Shepheard Viscountess Irwin Relict of Charles 9th Viscount Irwin in the year 1796'. The house was owned by the Ingram family for 300 years until 1922 when Lord Halifax sold it to Leeds Corporation.
Temple Newsam House. Guide Book. Published by Leeds City Council.