An 1899 photograph, again taken just before demolition. King Edward Street was built on the site, but the southern extension of Fish Street to Kirkgate, the alley with the iron posts at the end of the centre of the picture remains as part of the pedestrian precinct.
What the Markets Committee described as 'the insanitary and out-of-date premises' of the Shambles and the associated butchers shops were replaced by the Wholesale Meat Market and Abbattoir built by the Corporation in 1899.
Briggate - A History In Pictures, Leeds City Libraries. ISBN 0 9599966 4 5