Taken to mark the official opening of Temple Newsam House as a public museum on October 19th, 1923. The Great Hall dates from the 17th century although the foundations and cellars are those of the Tudor House. This wing was remodelled between 1792 and 1796 when the central bay window, classical chimney-piece and doorcases were introduced. Its present appearance dates from 1827 when Lady Hertford added the Jacobean style panelling, overmantel and ceiling.
Temple Newsam House Guide Book. Published by Leeds City Council.