Site Home
 



Topic Home


The Markets

When people talk about Leeds markets they usually mean the magnificent Kirkgate Market which began in 1822 as an open market in Vicar's Croft, and still exists to-day. But there were other market buildings, like the Central Market and the South Market put up in Leeds in the 1820s. In fact, Leeds has been a market town since 1207, when Briggate was laid out and made wide enough to accommodate the market.

This is the story of markets in Leeds from the first medieval marketplace in Briggate with the cloth market on Leeds Bridge to the Cloth Halls of the eighteenth century, and the building of new markets in the 1820's; and of how  Kirkgate market became the main market place of Leeds and how it developed into the market we know to-day.


The Markets researched and written by Suzanne Grahame

Click images to enlarge
Artists impression of the interior of the market hall, 1901
Artists impression of the interior of the market hall, 1901
Interior of the market hall, 1999
Interior of the market hall, 1999




Site Map

© 2003 Leeds City Council | Site created by: LCC electronic information team | 25 March 2003