Site Home
 



Topic Home


Eastgate

It was intended that the new Headrow would run from the Town Hall as far as Quarry Hill and the junction with York Road and Mabgate at Mabgate circus. This meant that the area of old housing and narrow streets between the end of the Lowerhead Row and the junction with Millgarth Street would have to be demolished, and a new street, Eastgate, created. The 1906 and 1933 Ordnance Survey maps show the changes which were made.

A photograph taken in 1928 looking west from Millgarth Street, shows the cleared site which would become the north side of Eastgate. There was a considerable drop in level between this site and Nelson Street on the south side of Eastgate, and this had to be taken into account when the street was built. The north side was built first, the huge block of buildings all conforming to Blomfield's uniform design for the Headrow. Later, the houses on Nelson Street, and Union Street were cleared to make way for the buildings on the south side of Eastgate, which again conformed to Blomfield's design.

Part of the property which was demolished were the back to back houses on Nelson Street, Union Street and Union Court, which were built in the eighteenth century on land which was part of the Crackenthorpe Garden Estate.

The development of Eastgate took place at the same time as work was being carried out on the rest of the Headrow. By February 1932 the whole length of the new road from Cookridge Street to the bottom of Eastgate  was almost completed, except for a small stretch opposite Lewis's.

The roundabout at the bottom of Eastgate was also designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield, and was originally a petrol filling station run by Appleyards of Leeds Ltd.    


Click images to enlarge
Creating Eastgate, 1928
Creating Eastgate, 1928
Eastgate roundabout
Eastgate roundabout
Aerial view, Eastgate roundabout
Aerial view, Eastgate roundabout
Eastgate roundabout, 1999
Eastgate roundabout, 1999




Site Map

© 2003 Leeds City Council | Site created by: LCC electronic information team | 25 March 2003