Site Home
 



Topic Home


Then and Now

Hirst's Yard
Located on the east side of Briggate, just below the junction witih Duncan Street, Hirst's Yard was named after William Hirst. He was born near Huddersfield and came to Leeds in 1795, where he set up in business as a cloth dresser.











Dysons Clock
In 1865 John Dyson bought two cottages at numbers 126 and 127 Briggate, and set up in business as a jeweller. He installed a large clock on the front of the building, which has been a Leeds landmark ever since. The smaller clock on the left was added in 1910 to celebrate the birthday of John Dyson's wife. The shop was completely refurbished in 1980, but closed in 1990. John Dyson Jewellers opened on Commercial Street in 1996, but has no connection with the Dyson family.














Marks and Spencer
In 1938 the Rialto cinema was demolished to make way for Marks and Spencers new store. They were  to move from their shop at 76, Briggate which they  had occupied since 1909. The new building was requisitioned by the Ministry of Works during the war, and was not opened as a store until 1951.
Click images to enlarge
Hirst's Yard, 1973
Hirst's Yard, 1973
Hirst's Yard, 1999
Hirst's Yard, 1999
Dyson's Clock, 1903
Dyson's Clock, 1903
Dyson's Clock, 1999
Dyson's Clock, 1999
Rialto Cinema, 1938
Rialto Cinema, 1938
Marks and Spencer, 1999
Marks and Spencer, 1999




Site Map

© 2003 Leeds City Council | Site created by: LCC electronic information team | 25 March 2003