Site Home
 



Topic Home


Development

1600-1800  
Apart from the area around the crossing point over the river at Leeds Bridge the waterfront is lined with meadowland. This changes with the building of the Aire and Calder Navigation  and the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Leeds is now linked to both the east and the west coast.




1800-1850
Leeds is now an inland port, with the river and canals the principal route for the import and export of goods. Three new bridges are built, and factories and warehouses are built on the waterfront.




1850-1900
The waterfront is now lined with warehouses and wharves, and is a centre of industrial activity in the town. River traffic had increased, but is beginning to face competition from the railways. The river has become polluted.




1900-1980  
The waterfront is in decline. The railways and improved roads provide better transport facilities. But some heavy goods are still carried by barge, and people still live and work on the waterways. The redevelopment of the waterfront begins.
Click images to enlarge
Aire and Calder Navigation Warehouse, built 1827
Aire and Calder Navigation Warehouse, built 1827
Leeds Waterfront, c.1850
Leeds Waterfront, c.1850
Victoria Coal Wharf, 1903
Victoria Coal Wharf, 1903
Derelict waterfront, 1945
Derelict waterfront, 1945




Site Map

© 2003 Leeds City Council | Site created by: LCC electronic information team | 25 March 2003