Site Home
 



Topic Home


Development

1600-1800
The Cloth market is moved from Briggate to the Cloth Halls. Briggate is still the site of the general market.





1800 1850
Five different markets are built.  Kirkgate Market begins as an open air market on Vicar's Croft.






1850 1875
Leeds gets its first covered market at Kirkgate.







1875 1900
Leeds New Market is built, with a general produce market and a fish market. The market square is roofed over. A new fish market and an abattoir and meat market are built.




1900 1920
The old covered market is demolished to be replaced by the magnificent new Market Hall.





1920 1950
An ambitious scheme for a new market is proposed, but the war intervenes. The market suffers bomb damage.





1950 2000
A fire destroys much of the market in 1975. The market is rebuilt and extended. The Market Hall is refurbished in 1992.
Click images to enlarge
The Mixed or Coloured Cloth Hall
The Mixed or Coloured Cloth Hall
Central market
Central market
The Covered Market, 1901
The Covered Market, 1901
Leeds New Market
Leeds New Market
Kirkgate Market, 1938
Kirkgate Market, 1938
Langdon-Down print
Langdon-Down print
Fire damage 1975
Fire damage 1975
Market Hall, 1999
Market Hall, 1999




Site Map

© 2003 Leeds City Council | Site created by: LCC electronic information team | 25 March 2003