View of the entrance to Clothworkers Court on the left and the Great Hall, right, situated in University Road (formerly College Road). The buildings were designed by Alfred Waterhouse R.A. in red brick with stone facings in Gothic Collegiate style. Clothworkers Court housed the Textile Industries Department of the Yorkshire College and was built and equipped by the Clothworkers' company at a cost of £16,000. It opened in 1879.
The Gothic style Great Hall incorporated the library and cost £22,000 to build. The hall is 86 feet long, 48 feet broad and 32 feet high and can accommodate 1,100 people on ceremonial occasions. It was also used for examinations. At the north end of the building there were dining and luncheon rooms and separate common rooms for male and female students. The Great Hall was opened in October 1894 by the Duke and Duchess of York.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.