1887. Image shows the front view of Louis Le Prince's 16 lens camera built in 1887.
Louis Aimé Augustin Le Prince (1842-1890?) had applied for an American patent entitled 'Method and Apparatus of Producing Animated Photographic Pictures'. He returned to Leeds from the States in 1887 and began to further develop his cameras at Number 160 Woodhouse Lane, a workshop adjacent to Blenheim Chapel. Le Prince was assisted by his son Adolph, Joseph Whitley, a clever mechanic, J.W.Longley and local joiner, Frederick Mason of the firm William Mason and Sons, 150 Woodhouse Lane. The 16 lenses, as seen here, centre, act on two sensitive films. The first 8 operate on one film in rapid succession, then, as the first film is moved forward, the next 8 lenses operate on the second film. The shutters on the lenses are opened in the correct order by means of a system of 'mutilated gears' to which they are attached. Louis Le Prince went on to develop more compact, less noisy cameras at his workshop in Woodhouse Lane and is famous for his single lens camera, patented in 1888. With this he successfully produced short sequences of moving film. Louis Le Prince's first film was on 14 October 1888. It is known as the "Roundhay Garden Scene" as it was shot in the garden of Oakwood Grange, Roundhay. It is the first movie on the reel of film, the second being the more famous Leeds Bridge scene. For a film clip of the Leeds Bridge sequence seee http://www.archive.org/details/Leeds_Bridge_1888
For further information on Le Prince see the
Internet Movie Database http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0392728/
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.