View of the Norman chapel at Lotherton Hall. On the right, part of the porte cochere, the entrance to Lotherton Hall on the west side is visible. The entrance to the chapel on the south side, seen here, dates from alterations made in the 18th century as does the gabled bellcote. At this time the nave was shortened and the chancel arch was also rebuilt. The chapel consists of a nave, left, and chancel, right, and measures 54 feet in length (approx. 16.5 metres) and 21 feet (approx. 6.5 metres) at the western end. On the north side there is the original Norman doorway with carved doorhead. This dates the building to between 1170 and 1180, the reign of Henry II. The narrow window seen in the image is also original and of this period. It has a semi-circular arched lintel. The small chapel was restored for Colonel and Mrs. Gasgoine, owners of Lotherton Hall, between 1913 and 1917. The hall was used as a V.A.D. hospital between 1914 and 1918 and wounded soldiers were able to use the conveniently placed chapel during their convalescence. Photograph by Ron Turner.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.