Taken in the early 1900s, view of the Old George. Originally opened in the 17th Century as 'Ye Bush'. About 1714, the name was changed to 'The George', the 'Old' was added around 1815 when the George and Dragon opened in the vicinity. It was sometimes referred to as Simpsons Commercial Hotel, Charlotte Bronte had once stayed there. It was closed around 1919. Sign writers are at work, for Farrar Signs of Leeds. The painted advertisement details 'Gentlemen's Smoking Concert Every Evening', and 'Splendid Home Brewed Ales'.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.