Situated on Arthington Lane, it is believed that this Nunnery was founded by Peter de Arthington about 1150. It was a small establishment with usually around ten nuns. At the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Elizabeth Hall, the prioress received a pension of £35. Nine other nuns were offered much smaller amounts. The building became a home and the land around the farm. TB 15851B is on the house, thought to be the initials of Thomas Briggs and his wife who were early owners.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.