This plague stone or trough, dated 1666 was found in a garden in Chapeltown Road. The depression in the stone would be filled with vinegar and used to sterilize coins used for trading. Outbreaks of plague occurred in England between 1603-1666. One outbreak in Leeds in 1644/5 claimed 1,335 victims, about 1/5 of the population. The stone is kept at the Abbey House Museum, Kirkstall.