16th October 1936.
View of Killingbeck Lodge, derelict with boarded windows and overgrown with climbing plants. Situated next to Killingbeck R. C. Cemetery, this was part of the Killingbeck Hall estate, along with Killingbeck Hall itself and Manston Hall. Once owned by the Brooke family, the estate was acquired by Leeds textile merchant William Walker around 1788. William and his elder son Thomas lived at Killingbeck Hall while younger son George lived here at Killingbeck Lodge. George Walker was a well-known local artist, particularly noted for his 1814 book "The Costume of Yorkshire". On his death in 1856 the estate was sold, and at this time or later became the property of the Meynell-Ingram family. In 1898 Mrs. Meynell-Ingram sold the estate to Leeds Corporation and Killingbeck Hall was to become the site of Killingbeck Hospital, Manston Hall to be the site of Seacroft Hospital. Killingbeck Lodge remained but by the time of this photo had fallen into dereliction and was eventually demolished. Lyme Chase now stands on the site.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.