8th November 1929. St Peter's Street, looking across to Lady Lane. On the right, ornate facade of the Marquis of Granby which was rebuilt in 1897 and closed for road widening in 1933. The pub had its own brewhouse, which closed in 1931. It was replaced with a new building on Eastgate, opened February 1933, was closed and converted to offices in 1984. The Marquis of Granby was John Manners Colonel in Chief of the British Army 1766. When his men left the army, he set them up as inn-keepers.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.