30th June 1942.
Image shows a brick wall in the centre, formerly the site of the Rialto Cinema, now Marks and Spencer. The new store was completed by 1940, but was then requisitioned by the Ministry of Works. It was finally opened in 1951. On the right is a building with a canopy, number 50/51, the premises of Thornton and Co. Ltd. rubber manufacturers. They are listed in Kelly's Directory for 1947 as 'athletic outfitters'. A 'number 3' route tram is visible, also white black-out warning marks on the edge of the pavement can be seen. This was a wartime precaution to enable people to distinguish obstacles during darkness.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.