30th January 1906
On Weetwood Lane, built on land which had been part of the Weetwood Hall estate. Thomas Simpson commissioned his cousin John Simpson to design Bardon Hall. It was built between 1873-75 in Victorian Gothic style. Thomas Simpson died in 1898, the property was purchased by Joseph Pickersgill in 1899. Pickersgill was a millionaire, having made his fortune as a race-horse owner and turf commissioner. He was also a partner in Chorley and Pickersgill printers who had the Electric Press building in Cookridge Street. His contribution to the development of Bardon Hall was the building of a magnificent stable block. He died in 1820 aged 71. The house was purchased by the Roman Catholic Church and became the Bishops' House, residence for the Bishops of Leeds. Between 1951-1956 it was home to Cardinal Heenan. It then became Our Lady's Primary School c. 1960s to 1980s, and St. Urbans School in the 1990s. In 1999, the house and land were sold to a developer and were made into private apartments. The stables were demolished.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.