30th January 1906.
On Weetwood Lane, built on land which had been part of the Weetwood Hall Estate. Thomas Simpson commissioned his cousin John Simpson to design Bardon Hall. It was built between 1873 and 1875 in the Victorian Gothic style. Thomas Simpson died in 1898 and the property was purchased by Joseph Pickersgill in 1899. Pickersgill was a millionaire, having made his fortune as a race-horse owner and turf commissioner. He was also a partner in Chorley and Pickersgill printers who had the Electric Press building in Cookridge Street. His contribution to the development of Bardon Hill was the building of a magnificent stable block. He died in 1920 aged 71. The house was purchased by the Roman Catholic Church and became the Bishops' House, residence for the Bishops of Leeds. Between 1951 and 1956 it was home to Cardinal John Heenan. It then became a primary school and was latterly called St. Urbans School. In 1999, the house and land were sold to a developer.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.