17th June 1938.
View of Leeds Liverpool Canal at Newlay, the bridge across is in the middle of the photo. It is the longest canal in Britain, 127 miles linking Liverpool to Leeds. It was built in stages, in 1773 from Bingley to Skipton, the following year on to Gargrave. By 1777 Liverpool was linked to Wigan and Leeds to Gargrave. It was 1816 when it was finally finished. In 1964 traffic ceased across the summit, large stretches are still used by pleasure craft.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.