12th October 1936.
Public footpath led from Meanwood Road to Woodhouse Ridge via a footbridge over Meanwood Beck. This view is of the Ridge from behind Yorkshire Switchgear, an electrical engineering plant which fronted onto Meanwood Road. Woodhouse Ridge is one of the few remaining woodland areas of the ancient manor of Leeds. This part of the wood was named Batty's Wood, the gift of John Warburton to add to the existing public parkland. A local legend suggests that during the Civil War, a skirmish took place here and that musket balls have been found in the earth! The nearest action in this area was in January 1643 when General 'Black' Tom Fairfax (noted for his long dark hair) led Parliamentarian troops against Lord Savile, who was holding Leeds for the Royalists. Fairfax split his men, half went south of the River Aire, the rest he led over Woodhouse Moor, down to Briggate. With troops coming from the north and south, Lord Savile's army was caught in a pincer movement and defeated. There is little evidence that troops were in Batty's Wood.