leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

King Charles Hotel, Lands Lane


Subject ID:
2002814_91704959
Location:
City Centre
Subject Year:
1937
Copyright:
Leeds Library & Information Services
Class number:
C LIN Lands (1)
King Charles Hotel, Lands Lane
Description:
14th June 1937. Image taken from near the entrance to the Queen's Arcade, shows the King Charles Hotel which stood at the corner of Lands Lane (foreground & right) with King Charles Croft (left). The King Charles Hotel opened in 1845 but was demolished to build the new Schofields store, c1975. It had actually closed down as a public house ten years before, on the 5th May, 1965. Sherwins Restaurant, advertising 'Suppers', is on the right at number 17 Lands Lane. It closed down after 100 years of service, again to make way for the new extension to Schofields. Stanley's draper is visible, next door to Sherwin's at number 19. Stanley's was adjacent to the Victoria Arcade, the elaborate arched entrance of which can be partially seen at the right edge. Stanley's also occupied two more shops beyond the Victoria Arcade, numbers 21 and 23. The Victoria Arcade was built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1898 to designs by Thomas Ambler. Snowden Schofield (1870-1949) opened his drapery business at number 1 Victoria Arcade on the 4th May, 1901 and began to expand his business, gradually acquiring more shops in the arcade. Schofield purchased the Victoria Arcade in 1947 and it was demolished in 1959 for the expansion plans. Years earlier, in 1912, he had also purchased Red Hall as part of his plans for the department store. King Charles Croft gave access to Red Hall, a substantial house believed to be the first building to be constructed in red brick in Leeds, hence the name. It dated from 1628 and was originally the home of wool merchant, Alderman Thomas Metcalfe. The grounds, including orchards, extended as far as Albion Place and King Charles Croft now occupies the site of the gardens of Red Hall. Red Hall was famous for the 9th February 1646 when King Charles 1 spent the night, as a prisoner of the Scots, on the journey from Newark to Newcastle. The room became known as the King's Chamber and was incorporated into Schofields 'Old English Cafe' in 1912. Red Hall was demolished in 1961 for the continued development of Schofields.

Corrections:
Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks. Email corrections
Buy a copy of this photograph 2002814_91704959

Select the size, finish and quantity of the photograph you require.  If you require sepia toning please tick the appropriate box. Please note the size of the photographs will be as near as possible to that requested, however to avoid distorting the image sizes may not be exact. VAT will be added to the order at checkout.

Please note there is no negative available for this image there is a one off fee of £3.40 to pay in addition to the usual print costs.
Quantity: Sepia Toning (+50%)
Size Matt Gloss
10 x 8 inches £6.67 £6.67
12 x 9 inches £9.17 £9.17
16 x 12 inches £10.84 £10.84
Add to basket