3 June 1907
Image shows the old Public Dispensary situated at the junction of New Briggate/North Street to the right and Vicar Lane to the left. This view shows the original building, which opened on 6th June 1867, before alterations were carried out. The very earliest Dispensary opened on 24th October in 1824 in the House of Recovery on Vicar Lane. In 1900 it was proposed that the roads in this area be improved, a new dispensary was built a little lower down on North Street, at the junction with Hartley Hill, which opened in 1904. The round windows belonging to the 1867 building, seen here on the left at street level, were filled in, the corner of the building was rounded off and the wing to the right was demolished. The premises were used by various companies, then by 1913 it had been opened as a tuberculosis clinic. It is now a chest clinic, the building now being listed.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.