24 August 1937.
Image shows the Kingsway Cinema, built in the grounds of Allerton Lodge and designed by James Brodie. It opened in June 1937 and was closed 21 years later in the August of 1958. As the established Leeds Jewish community began to move to the north of the city, away from the central area, there was a need for new synagogues to be opened. The New Vilna Synagogue was adapted from the cinema building and opened on 6th September 1959. Eventually, the synagogue was to move to new premises and the vacated building caught fire and had to be demolished. The site is now occupied by Beechwood Court, a complex of flats. At the far right a small lodge can be seen, belonging to Keldholme, a substantial house set back from Harrogate Road. The photograph is taken near to the junction with Falkland Mount, left.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.