11 May 1938
Star Cinema replaced the Victoria Picture Hall which had been built on the site of Coach Hall Farm in 1912. It was demolished in 1937. The replacement 'Star' was situated further back from York Road, the architect was James Broclie, the sealing capacity was 1,286, ground floor with 870 seats and a gallery with 416, it opened on 21st February 1938 showing Robert Colman in Lost Horizon'. This is the front entrance with sweet shop to the right.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.