leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

Gledhow Hall, Sir James Kitson


Subject ID:
2002913_84563846
Location:
Gledhow
Subject Year:
Keywords:
Gledhow Hall
Copyright:
West Yorkshire Archive Service
Class number:
WYAS 14
Gledhow Hall, Sir James Kitson
Description:
1905. Sir James Kitson with a group of family and friends stand beside a chauffeur driven car outside Gledhow Hall, Roundhay. Sir James Kitson Bt. was raised to the peerage in 1907 as Lord Airedale, 1st Baron Airedale of Gledhow. Sir James is seen in the foreground with top hat. Standing either side of him is his son Albert (later Lord Airedale, also in top hat) and his daughter Emily. In 1911, Albert inherited his father's Barony, including Gledhow Hall where he lived with his wife, Baroness Airedale (nee Florence von Schunck). They had been married on 23 January 1890 at the Unitarian Mill Hill Chapel, Leeds. The Yorkshire Post reported that wedding guests included Herbert Gladstone, son of Prime Minister William Gladstone and Leeds politician, Francis Martineau Lupton, who was the first cousin of Lady Airedale's mother - Baroness von Schunck (nee Kate Lupton). Francis Martineau Lupton was the great great grandfather of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. Francis Martineau's first cousin (1R) was Sir Thomas Martineau - the uncle of WW2 Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain. Baroness von Schunck died in 1913 at Gledhow Wood Estate which was adjacent to Gledhow Hall. Painted by J.M.W. Turner in 1816, Gledhow Hall was used as a VAD (Military) hospital during WW1. Lord Airedale, 1st Baron Airedale was one of the leading industrialists of his age and chairman of the family firm Kitson and Company limited, Airedale Foundry and the Monkbridge Iron and Steelworks. Other country estates surrounding Gledhow Hall were Gledhow Grange and Hawkhills, Gledhow Lane - both the homes of solicitor William Middleton Esq. Ann, the wife of wealthy wool manufacturer William Lupton, died in 1865 at Gledhow Mount Mansion. The Lupton family seat "Beechwood", was also nearby - although much of the farmland had been sold by the 1950's to create the Leeds township Seacroft. In 2014, the Beechwood Estate, along with its former stables and gatehouse, houses numerous offices.

Corrections:
Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks. Email corrections
Buy a copy of this photograph 2002913_84563846

Select the size, finish and quantity of the photograph you require.  If you require sepia toning please tick the appropriate box. Please note the size of the photographs will be as near as possible to that requested, however to avoid distorting the image sizes may not be exact. VAT will be added to the order at checkout.

Quantity: Sepia Toning (+50%)
Size Matt Gloss
10 x 8 inches £11.25 £11.25
12 x 9 inches £13.96 £13.96
16 x 12 inches £15.42 £15.42
Add to basket