Sir James Kitson with a group of family and friends stand beside a chauffeur driven car outside Gledhow Hall, Roundhay. Sir James Kitson Bt. was raised to the peerage in 1907 as Lord Airedale, 1st Baron Airedale of Gledhow. Sir James is seen in the foreground with top hat. Standing either side of him is his son Albert (also in top hat) and daughter-in-law Florence - later Lord and Lady Airedale; in 1911, Albert inherited his father's Barony, including Gledhow Hall. Behind Florence is her mother, Baroness von Schunck (nee Kate Lupton) of the adjacent Gledhow Wood Estate. Family (daughters) and friends are also seen to the left. Gledhow Hall was painted by Turner in 1816 and was used as a VAD (Military) hospital during WW1. Lord Airedale, 1st Baron Airedale was one of the leading industrialists of his age and chairman of the family firm Kitson and Company limited, Airedale Foundry and the Monkbridge Iron and steelworks. Other country estates surrounding Gledhow Hall were Gledhow Grange and Hawkhills, Gledhow Lane - both the homes of solicitor William Middleton Esq. Gledhow Mount Mansion was home to wealthy wool manufacturer William Lupton Esq. The Lupton family seat "Beechwood" was also nearby, the estate remaining in the Lupton family until 1998.