First noted in 1607, the original farm on this site, a wooden building was begun by Christopher Kirke. A broken date stone found during brewery restorations shows that the timber framed house was encased in stone in 1638 by Christopher's son Richard. This image shows the 17th century barn which once housed hay, corn and cattle. Threshing was done with flails during winter months on the barn floor. The building underwent restoration and conversion to a pub and resturant in the 1970s.