Image of the 19th century extension at the rear of the pub. First noted in 1607 the original farm on this site. a timber building was started by Christopher Kirke. A broken date stone found during 20th century restorations shows that the timber framed house was encased in stone in 1638 by Christopher's son Richard. Inherited by Richard's son William in 1661, the farm was sold a year later for £820 to Thomas Kirke, a London haberdasher and descendant of William's great uncle Richard. The farm was sold in 1920 to Leeds co-op as one of five dairy farms to supply milk to the whole of Leeds, however this idea failed and the farms were sold again. Eventually taken over in the 1970s the building was restored and became a pub and restaurant.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.