Image shows the old George Hotel on Lower Briggate. First owned by the Knights Templar in the 13th century, the building displays Templar crosses on its front. Opened as the hotel 'Ye Bush' in the 17th century it became 'The George' in 1714 and 'The Old George' in 1815 when 'The George and Dragon' opened nearby. Sometimes called Simpson Hotel, Charlotte Bronte once stayed here and described the interior in her novel Jane Eyre. The hotel closed on 30th April 1919 after the license lapsed and the building was demolished soon after. On the left a sign advertises the Bridge Garage for reliable repairs while on the right a ginnel leads to George Yard and the premises of W. Simpson Registered Plumber Sanitary and Hot Water Engineer.