This aerial view looks across the administrative heart of Leeds City Centre. In the centre of the left edge the Gothic Revival style frontage of Leeds General Infirmary can be seen, facing onto Great George Street. Two of the original carved stone and brick wings designed by G.G. Scott are visible, completed in 1868. Another wing was added by G. Corson in 1892 with the more modern Brotherton Wing extending the hospital site to Calverley Street completed in 1940. The semi-circular balconies on the end of this wing are clearly visible. Moving right is the portland stone Civic Hall, designed by E.V. Harris, the hall was opened in 1933 by King George V and Queen Mary. Continuing right, the Leeds Institute is visible, recognisable by the roof of its centrally positioned circular lecture hall. Designed by C. Brodrick for the Leeds Mechanics Institute completed in 1868. Moving forwards towards the right edge is St Anne's Cathedral. In front of this, construction work is being carried out to extend the corner block of the Leeds Permanent Building Society (1930), which is just out of view, to its present site. The block of properties which follow to the left of this development are the Municipal Buildings (1884). These buildings originally housed civic offices along with Leeds Central Library. The first floor became the City of Leeds Police Headquarters and Criminal Investigation Department in 1934 with cells for prisoners created in the basement. The Leeds City Museum took over this floor in 1966 but moved out when the building closed for refurbishment between 1999 and 2000. It is now the home of Leeds Central Library. In the centre with a relatively flat facade, is the Leeds City Art Gallery established in 1888 when reading rooms within the Municipal Buildings were converted to a sculpture gallery. The present entrance (not in view) was the result of extensions and alterations made in 1982. Directly in front of these buildings is Centenary Street which was pedestrianised and paved over when the Garden of Remembrance and Victoria Gardens were enlarged. Victoria Gardens was created between 1936 and 1937 when the War Memorial was transferred there from City Square. On the right of this block is the site of what is now the Henry Moore Institute. This museum was converted from the three 19th century wool merchants offices seen here and opened in 1982. Opposite the Municipal Buildings, across Centenary Street and The Headrow is a pale coloured building which, like the Civic Hall is constructed from Portland Stone. This is Pearl Chambers and was built in 1910 as the premises of Pearl Life Assurance. A statue of its founder Patrick James Foley, stands on the roof. To the left of Pearl Chambers across East Parade, the back of the Jubilee Hotel is visible. This hotel was built in 1904 of Burmantofts terracotta and faces the Town Hall, designed by Cuthbert Brodrick and built from locally sourced gritstone. Building began in 1853, with the tower and dome following in 1857. The Town Hall was officially opened by Queen Victoria in 1858 although was not completed until 1860 when a bell was hung in the tower. The Town Hall was cleaned and restored in 1971, returning to its original glory. Victoria Square is situated in front of the building. The Square was altered in 1937 when the steps of the Town Hall were changed from the original bow shape to straight. Finally continuing left over Oxford Place is the Oxford Place Methodist Chapel. The foundation stone was laid in 1835 and the Chapel opened later that year. Sunday School buildings on Oxford Row were added in 1841. Refaced between 1896 and 1903, the Chapel suffered serious fire damage in 1911. Oxford Place Chambers, to the right of the church entrance on Oxford Place, is now the home of several counselling services including Relate.