4th August 1939
View looks onto Quarry Hill Flats. New York Road runs from the top edge to the bottom right corner with Marsh Lane visible in the foreground. The flats consisted of 13 'houses', each being named after a Leeds worthy. These were: Adelaide Neilsen, actress, b. St. Peter's Square,1848; Richard Oastler, social reformer, b. St. Peter's Square 1789; Joseph Priestley, unitarian minister at Leeds, 1767; James Kitson, founder of Hunslet engine co.; Sir Charles Lupton, Lord Mayor of Leeds 1915; Joseph Rhodes, painter and founder of an art school in Leeds; Sir John Savile, 1st alderman in Leeds, 1626; Ralph Thoresby, 18th century historian; Griffith Wright, founder of the Leeds Intelligencer, 1754; Jackson - several Yorkshire Jacksons, including an antiquarian and a musician, not known which one; Victoria - after Queen Victoria, and finally York, after the House of York. The long curved block in the upper left was Oastler House with Thoresby and Victoria Houses making up the smaller 'L' shape and York and Wright Houses, the larger. The small curved block of Kitson House is on the lower right.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.