View of Fish Pond, an ornamental lake. Although marked on old maps as the 'Fish Pond' this pond is known locally as 'Paul's Pond'. In 1890 William Paul took up residence at Cookridge Hall and the Paul family remained there until 1954, when the estate was sold by the executors of T. W. Paul. William Paul owned the Oak Tannery at number 91 Kirkstall Road, William Paul Ltd. He was a keen sportsman who raced greyhounds and kept horses and a pack of beagles for hare hunting, which took place on what is now the Holt Park Estate. The pond dates from around 1820 when the Cookridge estate was purchased by Richard Wormald from Robert Sheffield for £77,000. Richard Wormald was a woollen merchant who had specialised in manufacturing uniforms and blankets for soldiers of the Napoleonic Wars, and thus become wealthy. He constructed the pond and surrounded it with a new plantation of trees. He also built a new coach-house, stable and gatehouse. The pond was used to supply ice to the ice-house, which was constructed in grounds to the east side of Cookridge Hall.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.