Situated on Vernon Street, this building was erected in 1902. The school had its origins as the Leeds Goverment School of Design in 1846, part of the Leeds Mechanics and Literary Institution. By 1852 this became the Leeds School of Art. This School was built behind the Institute (now Civic Theatre), designed by Francis W. Bedford and Sydney Kitson MP in 1902 and opened by Ernest William Beckett MP in 1903. A three storey building over a basement. A notable feature is the large glass mosaic plaque with seated classical figures and the words 'Leeds School of Art'. This was changed to the Jacob Kramer College to commemorate the artist (1892 - 1962). After 1993, it was The Leeds College of Art and Design. The Jacob Kramer Building was erected and opened on Blenheim Walk, this site is for fine arts and fashion design.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.