Originally Weetwood Villa, built around 1861 by John Simpson for Henry Oxley. A neo-gothic mansion, Oxley had bought seven acres of the former Englefield Estate to build his home. He lived there for almost thirty years. James Walker Oxley inherited the property when his father died in 1890 and leased it to tenants. In 1920 he gifted the house (now called the Elms) to Leeds University, when it became Oxley Hall.