In Georgian Leeds, the nobility and gentry of the city required a centre for social engagements. The Assembly Rooms which were built over the north wing of the Third White Cloth Hall in 1777, provided the perfect venue with a highly decorative ballroom and a suite of supper rooms and card rooms. By the mid 1800s the Assembly Rooms had been converted to a Working Mens Club before becoming William Towler's Globe Foundry Warehouse as shown in this view. In the 1920s Hirst's Tobacco changed the name of the building to Waterloo House. The building has now, however been restored to its original function, as a venue for entertainment including the Cafe Rouge, the entrance to which can be seen towards the right with a roof gable.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.