25th November 1899
Interior of the headquarters of the Yorkshire Banking Company shortly after its opening in June 1899. The architect was W.W. Gwyther and this view shows the main banking hall with the entrance facing onto City Square. The building itself was situated at the corner of Boar Lane and Bishopgate. The interior walls were decorated with pale turquoise egg shell glazed tiles with a Numidian marble dado. Mahogany fittings are visible throughout the room. Along the top edge of the view is the inside of the dome which is decorated with hand-painted glass. The Yorkshire Banking Company began in 1843 after taking over the Yorkshire District Banking Co. In 1881 the manager of the Pontefract branch was found to have stolen £40,000. The Yorkshire Banking Company came to an end in 1901, two years after the branch in view opened, joining with three other banks to form London City and Midland, and eventually becoming Midland Bank Ltd. The building was used as the Observatory Wine Bar before becoming Flares nightclub which is what the building is presently used for.