View of St Mary's Church prior to demolition in 1979. Built in 1822/5 the church had served the communities of Mabgate and Quarry Hill. A schoolroom built shortly after the church was used for services after the church was pulled down. This building caught fire in 1994 and services were transferred to the new St Peter's School. In 1980 the Bishop of Ripon laid the foundation stone for a new Ripon and Leeds Diocesan Office on St Mary's Street. This was where the nave of the church had stood. The office was officially opened by the Archbishop of York, the Most Reverand and Right Honourable S.Y. Blanch on 8th October 1981. A few gravestones remain in the church yard, a memorial to the hundreds of local people who died during the cholera outbreaks of the 1830s and 1840s.