View looks along a row of cottages which were originally built as housing for colliery workers in 1794. This row, along with two others made up the hamlet of Old Belle Isle. Until the village became deserted in the 1960s, houses had no electricty, gas or hot water. The village also had no road links and was 15 minutes walk from the nearest tram stop.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.