8th June 1950
Image shows two brick built cottages with sash windows. This row helped make up the hamlet of Old Belle Isle, a simple row of cottages built by Brandling in 1793-4 as housing for colliery workers. With no gas or electricity the rooms were lit by parafin lamps and hotwater supplied by whatever could be boiled on the fire in kettles and pans. The only entrance to the village is via rough tracks making regular coal deliveries in winter an impossibility. In the image a young man sits in the doorway of the cottage. On the left while outside a bicycle leans against a paving stone.