The teacher training college at Beckett's Park was built in 1913. During the First World War it was converted to a military hospital. It was officially called the 2nd Northern General Hospital but was more commonly referred to as Beckett's Park Hospital. There were 3200 beds and the hospital treated 57,200 soldiers between 1914 to 1918. The hospital was gradually returned to educational uses until the outbreak of the Second World War when it was used to treat the Dunkirk wounded. The college is now part of Leeds Metropolitan University.