View shows Cuthbert Brodrick's original design for the Oriental and General Baths on Cookridge Street. The swimming pool opened on 28 July 1866 and the Turkish baths later that year although construction work on the whole building was not completed until 1867. Bands of coloured brickwork and Indian-style ornamentation gave the building a truly oriental feel. The completed building did not include the minaret tower which was substituted for a large dome. The building was also smaller, there being only five windows on each side of the central portion, rather than the six in the proposed design. In 1882 however, the building was extended and considerably altered. The domes were removed and replaced by pyramid shaped towers and roof gables. The two windows on either side of the main entrance, in this view were converted into separate entrances for men and women. The Oriental Baths were demolished in 1965 and the site now forms part of Millennium Square.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.