Early 1900s view of the Church of St. Peter on the south side of Arthington Lane. It dates from 1864 and was built in rock-faced sandstone to designs by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Gothic style and included sittings for 307 persons, a western tower and a spire containing one bell. The building work was financed by William Sheepshanks esq. of Arthington Hall and there are many memorials within the church to members of the Sheepshanks family. The first vicar was the Reverend Thomas Sheepshanks M.A., who gifted the vicarage situated behind the church. The clock was a later addition to the tower, installed in 1910, and it was made by William Potts & Sons of Leeds. Due to dwindling numbers making up the congregation the church was forced to close in 2007, and the final service was held on Sunday 2nd September of that year. The Grade II listed building of St. Peter's was acquired in 2007 by the Christian Coptic Orthodox Church of Egypt, a church dating back to the third century.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.