28th January 1963.
The core of this building was two houses, numbers 25/27, which were built by 1839. An early occupant of number 25 had been a gentleman named Walker, living there with his son Edward from 1845. Edward Walker later moved opposite to number 32. At the time of the 1841 Census a merchant, William Shaw was living at 27 with his wife, four children and seven servants, one of whom was male. It was viewed as being socially ambitious to employ a male servant. The Mount Hotel added many extentions and alterations to the original houses.