Photograph taken in 1901 showing base of maypole, part of an ancient cross. Behind is the church yard wall and a small portion of the church. The shop on the left advertises a public telephone and Cadbury's chocolate. Behind this is The Black Swan public house, with a carrier wagon pulled by a horse outside. A signpost in the centre of the image points right towards Leeds and a girl stands in the background. Underneath the photograph is printed: 'The nearby Hall Tower Hill may have been the place of assembly of the Saxon 'Thing' - summoned by the king or Ealdorman to administer justice.' According to tradition King Edwin of Northumbria had a residence here.