View of Thwaite Mills with Skelton Grange power station in the background. There has been a mill at Thwaite since 1641 when a fulling mill was built. In the 1820s the Aire and Calder Navigation Co. purchased the mills and rebuilt the whole site. The resulting two storey mill building with attic can be seen in the photograph. In 1978 the Thwaite Mills Society starting restoring the site which is now a museum run by Leeds City Council.