View of machinery at Thwaite Mills, including chalk crushing machinery and edge runner mill. The Horn family had taken over Thwaite in 1872 and adapted the mills to grind flint and china stone and produce whiting. They worked the mills until 1976 when their main line of business was putty manufacture. The weir collapsed in this year and they were forced to close the mills. After restoration work the mills reopened in 1991 as a museum.