View of the engineering shop at Thwaite Mills.The mill had closed as a manufacturing mill in 1976 after being owned by the Horn family since 1872. During this time several different stone crushing processes were carried out in the mill. Machinery was not always removed after a process was abandoned but was adapted for another use or just left where it was. Nearly all the machinery in the workshop was driven by power from the two waterwheels on the site. All types of metal and woodwork was undertaken here, including making and repairing some of the carts and wagons used at the mill.